Company Blog

National Chimney Safety Week Is This Month

Every fall as homeowners begin to use their fireplaces, the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) takes the time to remind us of the dangers that can occur inside our chimneys by promoting Chimney Safety Week. As the leading non-profit organization of the National Chimney Safety Week Is This Month - Poughkeepsie NY - All Seasons Chimneychimney industry, the mission statement of the CSIA is to advance public awareness while educating and certifying chimney professionals, and they have designated the last week of September to run their biggest national campaign of the year. Since this campaign is positioned to run directly before National Fire Prevention Week, All Seasons Chimney dedicates the entire month of October to educate the Hudson Valley area on how to prevent chimney fires and other safety hazards. We would like to share with you these important fire safety practice reminders so that you and your family can safely enjoy warm, cozy fires this winter.

Schedule your annual professional chimney maintenance service appointment before you light the first fire of the year.

The CSIA and other national fire safety organizations recommend that homeowners have their chimneys professionally swept and inspected at least once a year to ensure that no safety hazards are present. When we sweep your chimney, All Seasons Chimney takes great care to remove all of the creosote deposits from your inner chimney to reduce your risk of chimney fires. We will also check to see if there are any flue blockages or other types of damage present in your chimney that could lead to dangerous safety hazards.

Only burn seasoned firewood in your fireplace.

This type of firewood has been allowed to dry for at least six months after it has been cut so that it will produce longer-lasting, cleaner-burning, and warmer fires. Burning freshly cut wood can result in smoke issues, odor problems, and rapid accumulation of creosote, and this greatly increases your risk of a chimney fire. You should also never burn treated or painted wood as it can produce dangerous fumes.

Install smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector alarms throughout your home.

Not only should you install these lifesaving alarms in the same room as your fireplace, but you should also make sure that you have both smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home as well as outside every bedroom. Statistics have proven that these alarms have cut the risk of dying in a home fire in half, but to stay safe, you must check the batteries on a regular basis to be sure they are working properly. All Seasons Chimney recommends that you make a habit of checking these alarms every spring and every fall when you adjust your clocks for Daylight Saving Time.

Thanks to Chimney Safety Week and National Fire Prevention Week, October is the perfect opportunity to remember fireplace safety practices. Contact us today at All Seasons Chimney to schedule an appointment for your annual professional chimney sweeping and inspection. Our CSIA-certified chimney sweeps are here for all of your professional chimney maintenance, repair, and installation needs.

The Importance of Dryer Vent Service

You may think that since you remember to clean the lint trap on your clothes dryer before each load that you do not need to schedule an annual professional dryer vent maintenance service. However, that trap cannot collect all of the lint that your dryer produces! Lint can accumulate inside the vent, and this can be dangerous. According to the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA), the US Consumer Product Safety Commission reported that dirty dryer vents caused the majority of the 5,100 clothes dryer fires in 2012.

The Importance of Dryer Vent Service Image - Poukeepsie NY - All Seasons ChimneyThis number has decreased over the years. On the contrary, these fires still resulted in ten deaths, 180 injuries, and approximately $80 million in property losses. Having your dryer vent professionally serviced each year is the best way to avoid this type of accidental house fire. All Seasons Chimney is proud to provide professional dryer vent cleaning and repair services to the residents of the lower Hudson Valley area. Now, we would like to tell you why this annual maintenance service is so important.


The reason why a clogged and dirty dryer vent is such a dangerous fire hazard has to do with lint. Camping experts like The Boy Scouts of America recommend using lint as a campfire starter, because it is so flammable. When lint has accumulated in your dryer vent to the point of clogging the vent, it causes your dryer to overheat. These extremely high temperatures can easily ignite an accumulation of lint to start a fire. A fire which can spread quickly throughout your home. To avoid this fire hazard, you should have your vent professionally cleaned at least once a year.


When your dryer overheats due to a clogged vent, it can quickly wear out important parts of the appliance. The heating element is the most commonly affected component. It can be quite expensive to repair. In fact, you may be better off by purchasing a new clothes dryer. An annual professional dryer vent cleaning can prolong the life of this appliance.


One of the clearest signs that your dryer vent is clogged? When your clothes are still damp after a full drying cycle. When the vent needs to be cleaned, your dryer cannot function properly. Not only does having to dry one load of clothes for at least two cycles waste energy, it is also expensive. After a dryer vent cleaning from All Seasons Chimney, the energy efficiency of your dryer will be greatly improved. Plus, your monthly utility bills will decrease.

When was the last time you had your dryer vent professionally cleaned? Contact us today at All Seasons Chimney to schedule an appointment for our dryer vent maintenance services and avoid becoming another clothes dryer fire statistic!