In the past, dryer vents were made of a weak vinyl material that we now know breaks down pretty easily and doesn’t fair well with condensation. Nowadays, newer homes are built with stricter regulations that ensure dryer vents can withstand a lot more. But if you live in an older home, there’s a good chance things aren’t set up the way they should be.
Along with this, vents today are typically constructed longer so they can accommodate the convenience of having dryers in easy-to-access areas of the home. This can make them harder to clean and more prone to clog up (especially if lots of twists and turns are involved).
Because of this, regular maintenance is more important than ever. Unfortunately, dryer vents still tend to be largely neglected, which can lead to some serious issues throughout the home (the biggest being fires). In fact, most dryer-related fires could have been easily avoided if proper dryer vent care was implemented sooner.
Other issues, such as disconnected vents, improper installation, and more can also lead to major problems. We’ve come across homes that had disconnected vents dumping lint into their attic for years!
Needless to say, regular dryer vent maintenance is a necessary investment – and one of the teams at All Seasons Chimney is here to help with.
Dryer Lint – The Best Kindling
If you’re going camping, it’s often recommended to bring dryer lint with you. Why? Because it’s the best kindling! Once lint comes near a fire it ignites instantly and spreads like crazy, ensuring you get your outdoor fires started with ease.
That being said, this isn’t something you want happening in your home. When lint is given the opportunity to build up and start accumulating in your dryer, it won’t take much for it to ignite and start spreading flames through your vents.
In fact, while most folks assume dryer vents fires start in the vents themselves, the truth is that they actually tend to originate in the dryer! All in all, getting out any build-up well before it starts backing up into your appliance is essential – and the sooner this is done, the better.
How Do I Know When I Need a Cleaning?
Now, knowing when you need a cleaning isn’t always as obvious as seeing lint form in your dryer. If you’re not sure whether or not you’re due for one, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Your clothes are taking forever to dry. This is probably the most common (and most obvious) clue that your dryer vents need help. All too often, people think their dryer is on its last leg only to invest in a new one and experience the same problems all over again. Before spending the money on something new, be sure your vents aren’t the thing causing the inefficiency.
- Nothing is coming out of the exhaust. If your dryer is running and you’re not seeing any fumes escaping outside your home, then there’s definitely a clog somewhere. And if this is the case, dangerous gases will likely end up in your living space! Having carbon monoxide and other fumes enter your home is highly dangerous and can lead to serious (sometimes fatal) health issues. Don’t take any chances – call us in!
- Your dryer feels exceptionally hot. Sure, your appliance is prone to feel on the warm side after running a load of laundry. But does it seem to be burning up? This is a good sign that things are getting a lot hotter than they should. A good vent cleaning will ensure everything is venting properly, so nothing overheats. Your clothes or the room itself may seem hot, too!
- You’re smelling something musty. Hot, burning or musty smells are all indications that something is amiss. If you’re noticing strange odors when you go to switch laundry loads, it’s a good idea to have everything checked out.
- Lint everywhere. Like we’ve said, keep an eye out for lint! If it’s coming out of the lint trap, piling up in the dryer, or showing up in other areas of the laundry room, something is either clogged up or disconnected.
- It’s been over a year since it’s been cleaned. In the end, most experts recommend investing in a dryer cleaning once every year. This ensures nothing is missed or overlooked… and it allows you to stress less about fires and gas leaks, too! Give us a call today to get your appointment booked.
We’re Qualified to Handle it All
Whether it’s a dryer vent cleaning you are in need of or something fireplace or chimney-related, the team at All Seasons is here and eager to assist. When you’ve had as much experience as our crew has, there isn’t much we haven’t tackled! Folks trust in us because we’re known for being reputable, reliable, and professional. If you’re looking for the best in Poughkeepsie, we’re it!
Call today to schedule your appointment. We’d be happy to take a look at your dryer vents or, if it’s your chimney that needs attention, we can book an inspection for that. Don’t wait – call now!