Cap That Chimney!
When it comes to keeping rainwater out of your chimney, you’ll want to choose either a chimney cap or a top-sealing damper. While a top-sealing damper has added energy-saving advantages, these two components otherwise serve many of the same purposes. Top-sealing dampers are just slightly more expensive though ,as we mention on our page devoted to the topic, the extra expense soon pays for itself in savings on your utility bills.
As for why you need to keep rain out of your chimney, doing so will keep both your heating appliance and your chimney—not to mention all the areas of your home around your chimney—safe from water damage. As you can imagine, water damage is not known for being inexpensive to repair.
What Does A Chimney Cap Do?
Chimney caps are one of the best ways for you to protect your fireplace and chimney and extend the life of both. A chimney cap does the following:
- Keeps the elements out of your chimney—namely rainwater, which can wreak real havoc on your chimney and on adjacent areas of your home. Snow, hail, sleet, and wind are also kept out.
- Keeps out nesting birds, along with opossums, squirrels, insects, and other critters. These nesting animals create blockages that can become fire hazards. Small animal and insect infestations are also the source of bothersome noises and odors, especially if the animals die inside your chimney. It’s worth mentioning that there’s a bird known as the “chimney swift,” which is protected by law and may not be removed from your chimney. If you have had nesting chimney swifts in your chimney, we can install a cap to prevent them from returning next year.
- Keeps out sticks and leaves.
- Keeps out flying debris. This category may sound humorous, but you wouldn’t believe all the odds and ends we find inside of chimneys—tennis balls, Christmas decorations, golf balls, baseballs, etc.
- Keeps ashes and sparks inside your chimney so that they can’t drift away and set fire to nearby leaves or other flammable debris. Meanwhile, chimney caps are specially slotted to allow smoke to escape.
At All Seasons Chimney, Inc., our chimney caps are available in stainless steel and copper, both materials known for being highly rust-resistant and strong – not to mention beautiful. Depending on your heating appliance and flue system, we’ll determine which specific type of cap is best for you and your budget.
Call for a Free Estimate
Give All Seasons Chimney, Inc. a call today at (845) 567-1217 or click here to set up your appointment. We’ll be happy to have a look at your chimney and to give you a free work estimate!
Top-sealing dampers offer another solution to having a safe, dry chimney and we have the experience you can rely on for this skilled chimney installation service.